Spiritual Journey in India

Alex and I at the Akshardham Hindu Temple
Why go to India?  Why not???  India is a spiritual place packed with rich culture, Bollywood, and exotic food!  Going to India also gives us the privilege of observing the daily lives of Indian residents. Their are many famous landmarks that I would love to visit for the first time, such as the Taj Mahal in the city of Agra. New Delhi, the capital of India, is one of the most historic capitals in the world. 
What to pack:  India climate ranges from tropical (hot and humid) to cooler temperatures in the North.  I heard first-hand from some of my friends that India is super hot and humid now, so I packed short sleeved everything and my crocs.  I am also travelling light because I expect to do a lot of walking.  
Current exchange rate:  1 Indian Rupee is 0.015014 of an American Dollar
Travel warnings:  The Embassy of New Delhi has reported civil unrest in Jammu and Kashmir.  Separatist groups called for a shutdown and curfew restrictions across Kashmir.  Yikes!  We don't plan on going there, so hopefully we're in a safe zone.  Just a general precaution, they don't have the best water purification systems so have bottled water handy for drinking, brushing your teeth, and keeping your mouth closed while showering.
Day 1:  The New Delhi airport was bustling with commotion. Alex and I exchanged some US dollars for currency, but most places take credit cards as well.  I found my taxi driver and he drove us to the hotel. On my way to the hotel, the streets were lively and crowded with people.  Amidst all the traffic congestion, an occasional cow would cross the road and the street essentially becomes a parking lot with motorcycles that continue to maneuver between cars.  It seemed as if the whole city has convened in one place, but essentially it's crammed like this almost everywhere in the city!  The taxi driver does have some mad driving skills though!  We arrived at the hotel safe and sound, and right when I opened the cab door, a rush of hot, humid air smothered me. In minutes, I was already sweating through my shirt, my skin was sticky.  It was difficult for me to breath at first, but I managed to overcome it. 
Crowded streets of New Delhi 
I still wonder how these giant crowds of people survive shoulder to shoulder in this climate. I checked into my room, turned on the AC, and slumped into my hotel bed.
Between the heat and jet lag, I'm exhausted.  The cool air wafting from the AC is gradually bringing me back to life. I threw my luggage aside, set up my laptop (yay WiFi!), and slithered into the comfort of the hotel bed.  A typical 4-star hotel in India may not follow the same standard as a 4-star hotel in the US, but I've got everything I need, and I'm just as grateful. Tomorrow is a new day!

Swaminarayan Akshardham
Swaminarayan Akshardham ** can you see me??**  :)

Day 2:  I wake up, ready to face whatever this day may bring. I stuffed my cargo shorts with as many water bottles as possible and strapped my camera around my neck. As soon as I stepped out of the hotel, I felt as if all my energy was being drained out of my body due to heat. I couldn't do anything about the climate, so I held my head up high and boarded the train to my first destination: Swaminarayan Akshardham which translates to the divine home of God.  The ride was about 30 minutes.  Akshardham is breathtaking!  It is a Hindu temple and despite the grandeur and ornate carvings, there's something naturally pure and holy about this place.  It was an amazing cultural experience. 
After a healthy walk accoss the grounds of Akshardham, Alex and I decided to head back to the city and find a place to eat.  In India, there are few places that serve meat due to the Hindu religion, and I'm not exactly a veggie lover.  I didn't want to visit Domino's or McDonalds when I can get those in the US, so we decided on Barbeque Nation which has very good ratings.  They have all sorts of grilled kabobs!  We found it very affordable - cheaper and better than Masala Wok in Plano!  Afterwards, we went to a mall, and you know what that means! AIR CONDITIONING! After we finished eating our meal, we walked through the mall and bought some colorful, hand-made souvenirs. 
After a day of excitement, I retreated to the comfort of my hotel room. I took a refreshing shower and then snuggled back into my bed.  
Day 3:  Our taxi reached a city called Agra.  We're here to see the most famous landmark in India; the Taj Mahal! Time for a little history lesson: Mumtaz Mahal was married to Shah Jehan (then Prince Khurram), the fifth Mughal emperor. Although this was his second marriage, they both truly loved each other. She inspired him to do kind acts of charity and show benevolence towards the weak and the needy. She had fourteen children for him and sadly died in 1630. The Taj Mahal in Agra was built in her memory. We leave first thing in the morning.  I wish I had more time to visit more places.  Goodbye for now India!  
Taj Mahal!
What's better than Taj Mahal?  Bollywood AND Taj Mahal!
Other observations:  Overall, this trip was outstanding and I now have a better understanding of the Indian culture.  India is very globalized.  They are rich in natural resources.  Though there is a noticeable wealth gap, their people are well-educated which positions them as good trade partners with many eastern and western countries.  China and India are also neighbors, separated by the Himalayan Mountains, and historically the Silk Road also offered a trade route between India and China. 
I know I whined about the heat, but the weather does seem to play a role in the spiritual essence of this place.  At some points, it's so hot, I got dizzy and my sweating might have drained out some toxins from body.  In a strange sense it was purifying perhaps both physically and spiritually.  
           

No comments:

Post a Comment